The more you know about civic engagement, the more powerful and impactful you can be.
To complete this activity, you must find and attend three online trainings (webinar, training video, etc) that will improve your skills and make you a stronger advocate.
Hone your skills
Participate in or attend an online workshop, summit, panel discussion, webinar, or other training that focuses on amping up your civic engagement skills. They can be broad and cover practical skills like grassroots organizing, engaging with the media, public speaking, or other topics. Trainings can also relate to civic engagement, voting rights, or campus activism.
The trainings should focus on what you are passionate about and offer tools and resources you can use to educate yourself or engage others in your community or on your campus.
Find a workshop, webinar, or other online training
Some online events and activity options are listed below but these are just a starting point; there are many other videos, webinars, and online trainings that would qualify.
We are actively discouraging in-person events and activities and group gatherings for the foreseeable future as part of our societal effort to reduce the spread of coronavirus and minimize the health impacts.
Civic and democratic engagement
- Get candidates on the record on science and equity issues.
- Raise your voice—op-ed writing, letters to the editor, talking to the media
- Understand 501c3 laws about non-partisan election activities
- How to lead groups effectively in an online space.
- How to facilitate meetings online.
- How to use online spaces as a tool to facilitate powerful connections.
- Learn about the intersection between voting rights and environmental justice
- Learn about voting rights laws in your state (find a local or state-based organization!)
- Building a plan for campus or community engagement
- All In’s Webinar Series on achieving full student voter participation
Did you complete this activity?
Well done! Have you also completed the two required activities for the Science Rising Challenge — registering to vote and having a plan to vote? Then congratulations! YOU have completed the Science Rising Challenge!
Share your achievement with your friends and let us know you’ve completed the challenge. We’ll send you a cool button to recognize your accomplishment and your participation in our democracy!